Friday, June 22, 2012

It's been a while!

  April was the last time I posted, and there have been many changes sense then. Good and bad, but we have survived and are thriving and will continue to do so.

  All my kids will be out of school this coming Wednesday!

  Well as far as chickens go, we are defiantly up a few from the last time I posted.
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but as far as adults I now have about 25 Hens and one temp rooster.
  Then, well then there are the chicks and pullets..... Lets see there are 3 that are 15 weeks old, two pullets and one roo (that is my up and coming roo for my flock) 7 Silkies that are about 7 weeks old, one mixed girl from my flock that is also 7 weeks, 2 hen raised mix chicks that are 9 weeks old, 6 chicks that are about 13 weeks old, and 3 bantam unknown breeds from the feed store that are about 3 weeks old. Not to mention that I have two hens that went broody (these are my 4th and 5th hens that have gone broody) and I bought 15 eggs to divide between them. So one had 7 and one had 8.... Well one still has 7 but my other girl STOLE eggs from the other nest boxes, my last count under her was 11 eggs. I moved them into the broody area right away so that she could not "collect" any more! Those eggs were set on Monday the 18th. Today is day 4 and hatch day should be about July 8th (one of my dear daughters birthday, Rylaya)

 Well I think that is all for now, but hopefully I will have time tomorrow to post some pictures!

2 comments:

  1. What do all those words mean? Are they all types of chickens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well because I am not sure which words you are refering to I will just explain the ones I assume you are talking about. Chicks (I think you know) is a baby chicken. Pullet is a chicken that is no longer a chick but has not begun to lay eggs yet, when she does then she becomes a Hen. Roo, is just short for Rooster. Silkies are a great breed of chicken. Mixed chicks are just that, they are not a pure breed of any kind. Bantam is a size of some chicken breeds. There are LFs which are large fowl and are the more typical chickens kept and bantams are breeds that are very small in compareson. Broody is what it is called when a hen has decided she wants to sit on eggs and hatch out chicks. A broody pen is just an area that the broody hen is moved to so that she may sit on her eggs in peace for 21 days untill her chicks hatch and then she may raise her chicks in the safty of said broody pen from the other chickens who may attack the chicks. Hope these are the words you were asking about. And thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete